Review: Meet me in Malmö (Inspector Anita Sundström #1) by Torquil MacLeod

Meet Me in Malmo - Torquil MacLeod

Publication Date: 26th March 2015

Publisher: McNidder & Grace

ISBN: 978-0857161130

Source:  Review copy provided by publisher

Rating: 4/5

Synopsis:

A British journalist is invited to Malmö to interview an old university friend who is now one of Sweden's leading film directors. When he discovers the directors glamorous film star wife dead in her apartment, the Skåne County Police are called in to solve the high-profile case. Among the investigating team is Inspector Anita Sundström, who soon finds the list of suspects growing. As Anita battles to discover the answers amid the antagonism of some of her colleagues, she even begins to think that the person she is becoming attracted to could be the murderer. This is the first in a series of the best-selling crime mysteries featuring Inspector Anita Sundström.

Review:

I found this quite difficult to read at first as I was unfamiliar with the Swedish names and accents, but this got a bit easier as I got further into the story.

Ewan, the journalist, gives us his perceptions of Sweden, laced with his self-deprecating brand of humour. The story picks up on his past relationship with his old university friend, in between current goings on in Malmö.

There are plenty of twists and turns, so we're never quite sure whodunit. Just as I thought I had it figured all out, there was another big shock.

I enjoyed this first McNidder & Grace crime thriller and I'm looking forward to reading more.