Review: The Lie by C. L. Taylor

Source: Publisher/NetGalley

Rating: 5/5

Synopsis:

This was no accident…

Haunting, compelling, this psychological thriller will have you hooked. Perfect for fans of Gone Girl and Daughter.

I know your name’s not really Jane Hughes . . .

Jane Hughes has a loving partner, a job in an animal sanctuary and a tiny cottage in rural Wales. She’s happier than she’s ever been but her life is a lie. Jane Hughes does not really exist.

Five years earlier Jane and her then best friends went on holiday but what should have been the trip of a lifetime rapidly descended into a nightmare that claimed the lives of two of the women.

Jane has tried to put the past behind her but someone knows the truth about what happened. Someone who won’t stop until they’ve destroyed Jane and everything she loves . . .

Review:

Wow! What just happened?! I've just emerged from my own little bubble after reading The Lie in one sitting, interrupted only by a few hours of much-needed sleep.

I was so excited to hear that C. L. Taylor was publishing a new book, as I thoroughly enjoyed The Accident, her debut of last year. I knew that I'd be reading The Lie as soon as I was able!

A tale of female friendships that is dark and disturbing, with fear and mistrust on every single suspense-filled page. With characters you love and loathe and an exotic setting, the author's descriptive prose brought this book to life and made me live the journey made by Jane. I smelled the rich earth and heard the waterfall, I laughed and cried, I was shocked and terrified, I couldn't put it down until I'd devoured every twist and turn and each unforseen revelation.

I defy any reader not to enjoy this book, you need to read it, it is simply stunning! C. L. Taylor has rightfully earnt her place on my 'Destined for Huge Things' bookshelf.