Review: Trigger Finger by Jackson Spencer Bell

Trigger Finger - Jackson Spencer Bell

Publication Date: 17th April 2014

ASIN: B00JS6W668

Synopsis:

When two intruders break into his house one night bent on attacking his family, Kevin Swanson fights back--with deadly consequences. In the aftermath, he rockets from obscure lawyer to local hero overnight--a hero to everyone, that is, except for a strange man who calls in to a local talk radio show when Kevin appears as a guest. The caller, who won't reveal his name, has a message: Kevin is no hero. And his story about what happened isn't even close to accurate. Suddenly, Kevin finds himself thrust into the center of one violent crime after another, rising to the occasion and exceeding his wildest expectations each time. Strangely, though, none of his attackers carry any identification. And as his doubts drive him through his own investigation of what really happened that night, his crumbling reality sends him hurtling towards a face-to-face confrontation with the nameless caller—and the horrifying truth that won't let him hide.

Review:

I'd like to thank the author for providing me with a review copy in return for an honest review.

Trigger Finger is quite a complex read which is told, in part, during Kevin's sessions with his therapist. While it is obvious that Kevin is suffering with some kind of mental illness, I was never entirely sure whether events really happened or not. I kept changing my mind about this all the way through, and the end kind of left me hanging.

It was mostly well written, gripping and dark, but with a constant reminder of the more vulnerable side of humanity.

I really enjoyed it, enough to read more by the author, but I would have preferred a cleaner conclusion.

Biography

Jackson Spencer Bell is an American author and lawyer whose work has appeared in a variety of print and electronic communications, including Swill and Dark Reveries. His short story "The Demon" was selected as Editor's Choice in the inaugural edition of The Midnight Diner. He holds a bachelor's degree in Criminal Justice and Spanish from the University of North Carolina at Wilmington and a law degree from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. A practicing attorney, he resides in Alamance County, North Carolina, USA with his wife and three children.