Review: You Think You Know Me by Clare Chase

ASIN: B00PHXT8A8

Source: Author/Publisher provided copy

Rating: 5/5 - highly recommended

Synopsis:

Sometimes, it’s not easy to tell the good guys from the bad …

Freelance journalist, Anna Morris, is struggling to make a name for herself, so she’s delighted to attend a launch event for a hip, young artist at her friend Seb’s gallery.

But an exclusive interview isn’t all Anna comes away with. After an encounter with the enigmatic Darrick Farron, she is flung into the shady underground of the art scene – a world of underhand dealings, missing paintings and mysterious deaths …

Seb is intent on convincing Anna that Darrick is up to no good but, try as she might, she can’t seem to keep away from him. And as she becomes further embroiled, Anna begins to wonder – can Seb’s behaviour be explained away as the well-intentioned concern of an old friend, or does he have something to hide?

Review:

The synopsis promises a tense tale of mystery, but this stunning debut from author Clare Chase is so much more than that. It ticked all the boxes for me. There is mystery, an elusive yet charming stranger and it has more twists and turns than your average rollercoaster ride.

Anna is a fabulous character. Believable and feisty, with a vulnerability that makes her so human. She's also as stubborn as a mule and losses her head over handsome stranger 'Max' all too easily. She's adorable!

There is an assortment of other characters, all of whom were under my suspicion at one time or another. I read a lot of mysteries, but couldn't have foreseen the ending, it kept me guessing, making me suspicious of every character before the shocking truth was revealed right at the end. It's brilliant.

Clare Chase writes intelligently; setting the scene and drawing the threads of the story together seamlessly. Her descriptive prose is a delight to read and made this book unputdownable. I'm looking forward to reading more by this author.