Review: Isis, Vampires and Ghosts - Oh My! (The Other World #1) by Janis Hill

ASIN: B00MS0FG1S

Source: Netgalley

My Rating: 3½/5

Synopsis:

When Stephanie Anders discovers her estranged, wild-child little sister has died and she must attend her funeral, she discovers that Estella’s death is not necessarily as terminal as she had been lead to believe and that, rather than dead, her sister is more of the undead variety. Too late to save her sister’s life, Stephanie Anders must now try to save her soul from the vampire who has possessed her, Branwyre, eighteenth vampire Lord of the Aegean.

With only the aid of the ghost of a pissed-off Buddhist monk with a potty mouth, and the modern day Priestess of Isis, Stephanie must battle demons and other denizens of a world she knows nothing about. Even her first task, to recover Branwyre’s crucible if she is to succeed in banishing the vampire before he has regained his full strength, is not what it seems.

But dealing with a demon, or double-binding a vampire in a sunbed pales in comparison to learning how to forgive her sister for what she did, especially if she is to have even half a chance of saving her soul.

Welcome to a world within our own, the Other World. A place of Darkness and Light; where gods, vampires, demons, and ghosts wage a constant struggle for survival.

My Review:
I was intrigued by the title of this book, hoping for a tale of vampires, ghosts and other paranormal goings on. I certainly got what I wanted, and more besides.

Stephanie is a fantastic character, likeable and feisty. Her initial reaction to the world of Isis is believable and humerous, her sense of humour and sarcastic manner one of the great points of this book. I had a little trouble getting my head around the many events that were thrown at Stephanie all at once, but once she had got used to the idea of what laid ahead of her, so had I.

Branwyre, Trishna and the rest of the otherworldly beings are well described and fit in with the story well, but I did find Trishna's insults rather repetitive; he could do with more varied vocabulary. Roxanna and Estella are also well described.

I found the whole concept of Isis a bit rushed, I would have preferred an introduction to it prior to Stephanie's arrival, but I'd probably read the next book in the series to find out what happens next.