Written in the Blood blog tour - Where I Write by author Stephen Lloyd Jones

Written in the Blood - Stephen Lloyd Jones, Gemma Whelan

I’m currently sitting cross-legged on my five-year-old son’s Star Wars duvet, the laptop balanced on a Star Wars pillow. It’s half term this week so the living room where I usually write is a no-fly zone. My wife has invited the children of a few friends over; including our own three boys, a total of nine under-fives are engaged in a furious lightsaber battle downstairs. From the sound of it, some have suffered mortal injuries.

Usually, when this kind of madness descends, I retreat to my own bedroom. But last night one of our brood crept in with my wife and I and promptly wet himself, meaning that our bed has been stripped and is drying out . . . hence my fall-back position here with Luke, Han Solo and Chewbacca

I dream of having my own dedicated writing room one day. It will be decorated with all the things my wife, quite rightly, won’t allow in the rest of the house: tartan carpet, drinking horns, mounted stag antlers, framed maps of fantasy worlds. It’ll have its own desk and chair, and a wall of book shelves. But most importantly, it’ll have a heavy oak door banded with iron, and an enormous key. And it’ll be quiet. Silent, in fact. No kids.

Until then, I’ll continue to be patient. You see, while I typed the first paragraph of this piece perched atop a Star Wars duvet set, I’m writing this last one on a train to the Brecon Beacons where I’ll be researching my next book. The woman sitting beside me has been eating the same bag of Steak McCoys for an hour, licking and sucking her fingers after every torturous conveyance of crisp to mouth. Now, finally, she’s folding the empty packet into rectangles of steadily decreasing size. It’s slow work, painstaking. Patience, Steve. Patience . . .

About the author...

Stephen Lloyd Jones was born in 1973, and grew up in Chandlers Ford, Hampshire.

He studied at Royal Holloway College, University of London, and now lives in Surrey with his wife, three young sons and far too many books.

Written in the Blood, sequel to The String Diaries and published by headline, is out now.

Buy Written in the Blood:-