Review: Not Easy Being Green by Susy Gage

Publisher:  Biting Duck Press

ISBN: 9781938463983

Source: Netgalley

Score: 3/5

Finding a dead mouse in the lab is not usually such a big deal. But when the lab is a Biosafety Level-3 containment facility designed to keep things in and out, and when the mouse has a brain tumour that fluoresces under blue light, it's time to start worrying. When graduate students start glowing, then it's time to panic. Especially when they could be spreading a mutant virus in ways you can only guess. An academic satire that tackles timely issues, from biosafety breaches to fraudulent science that preys on the most desperate.

This is a really interesting book with an unusual theme. There are plenty of strange characters and peculiar occurrences, and it was hard to predict what was going to happen next.

At times, I found the scientific words and jargon rather challenging, and the plot a little disjointed - there was a lot going on all at the same time, making it hard for me to concentrate and really enjoy the funny aspects of the story.

I'm sure this book will be a hit with the scientific fraternity, who will no doubt give it much more credit than I can.